VIDEO: Know Your Android or iPhone Smartphone's Serial Number? You May Need It!
Like one’s preference for Coke or Pepsi, “Star Wars” or “Star Trek,” or … Team Edward or Team Jacob, your choice of an iPhone or Android smartphone is part of what defines the beautiful and unique snowflake that is you. Your smartphone has an individual identity, too, as denoted by its serial number.
If you need to have your smartphone serviced or repaired, you may be asked for this number, which is 10 to 15 characters long for iPhones, and 11 characters long for Android phones, including Samsung. Do you know your phone’s serial number? Of course you do, right? It’s 2, 4 … niner … OK, well, what ultimately matters is that you know how to find it.
Here are three ways to find the serial number on your iPhone and three ways to find the serial number on your Android smartphone:
Method 1: On the Packaging
If you still have your phone’s packaging stashed somewhere (perhaps you have a junk drawer Marie Kondo would hate), you can find your serial number on the sticker affixed to the box.
Method 2: In Your Phone’s Settings
- Go to “Settings.”
- Tap “General.”
- Click on “About,” and you should find your serial number.
Method 3: Using Your Apple ID
You may need to access your serial number but you don’t have your phone, or your phone won’t turn on. Try these steps:
- On your computer, go to appleid.apple.com.
- Sign in with the Apple ID you use on your iPhone.
- Click “Devices” and select your iPhone. Your serial number should be listed.
For Android Phones
Method 1: Again, On the Packaging
Vindication for all you box hoarders out there!
Method 2: On the Device Itself
- Many Android phones come with the serial number printed on the back of the device.
- Turn your phone over and check there.
- If your phone has a removable battery, the serial number may also be printed underneath it.
Method 3: In Your Phone Settings
- Swipe down on your phone display from the home screen.
- Locate the cogwheel icon and tap it to go to “Settings.”
- Scroll down to “About Phone,” and click on it. On some phones, you may have to tap “System,” then find “About Phone” in that menu.
- On some phones, the serial number will be in this menu. In others, you may have to click “Status” and tap “Serial Number” to pull it up.
More Related Articles:
- How Much Does a Home Inspection Cost?
- 4 Tips for Hiring a General Contractor for Your Next Remodeling Project
- Should You Hire a Contractor or a Handyman?
- 5 Things to Look For When You're Hiring an Electrician
- What to Look for When Hiring an Exterminator
One final note: Only give your serial number to the manufacturer’s support center or to a trusted third party for a warranty-service claim. If someone gets ahold of it, they could commandeer your warranty and fraudulently order replacement parts or repairs under your policy.
Watch the video below from our partners at HomeServe for a demonstration on how to find your smartphone’s serial number:
Fast, Easy and Commitment Free.
Skip the search and get the number for a pro near you texted to your phone.
Talk to a local pro. We connect you to pros who are local and available to work.