How Much Does It Cost to Install a Washing Machine?
A brand-new washer can save you money on utilities and decrease your water consumption. Plus, newer models look nice and often have lots of high-tech features that make the chore of laundry a little more enjoyable.
Before you can test out those new functions, you need to have the machine properly installed. Find out how much professional washing machine installation costs to help you plan for that part of the purchase.
The average cost for professional washing machine installation is $100 to $200, according to Fixr. This is the expected cost if you're simply replacing an old washing machine and all the correct connections are in place already. If you need an electrician to run new lines for outlets, you can expect to pay an hourly rate of $40 to $120. The process could take a few hours. Your total installation cost with the electrician could run you anywhere from $350 to $600.
One of the biggest factors in washing machine installation cost is the number and type of changes that need to be done. If you need to make the space larger, change the plumbing lines or install different electrical outlets, you'll pay more for the installation. If you have a countertop or cabinets installed in the laundry room, you'll have additional costs if you need to move them to accommodate the new washing machine. Any changes to retrofit the space typically require special contractors to handle the work, such as an electrician or a plumber, which adds significantly to the labor costs.
If you're having your washing machine installation done professionally, the company might haul away your old appliance for free. Some installation services charge for the removal. Others don't haul away old appliances, requiring you to hire a different service to do so. If you have to pay for the removal process, you can expect it to cost you between $50 and $150 on top of the installation costs.
More Related Articles:
- How Much Does a Home Inspection Cost?
- 4 Tips for Hiring a General Contractor for Your Next Remodeling Project
- Should You Hire a Contractor or a Handyman?
- 5 Things to Look For When You're Hiring an Electrician
- What to Look for When Hiring an Exterminator
If you're on a budget, there are some ways you can make your washing machine installation a little cheaper. Try these tips:
- Shop around: Some appliance stores offer free installation if you buy your washing machine from them. If that's not an option, call around to different installers to get quotes. This helps you find a cheaper option that can save you money.
- Choose wisely: The cheapest option is to buy a washing machine that's similar to your existing model. If you have a top-loader, look for another top-loading machine. A simple swap is faster and easier, which saves on labor costs. Measure the existing machine and the existing space to choose a replacement model that will fit into the space without a lot of modifications.
- Check the electrical requirements: Some high-tech washing machines with lots of extra components might require special electrical connections. This could require you to have a different outlet installed.
- Leave it where it is: Rearranging your laundry room or moving it to a completely different area will greatly increase your costs. You'll likely need a plumber and an electrician to relocate the washing machine. Sticking with your current location and layout is the most cost-effective option.
Replacing an old washing machine with a new one is a relatively straightforward process. When the plumbing and electrical connections are already in place, you can handle the washing machine installation yourself if you're comfortable with DIY projects. You need to connect it to the water supply and drain, level it and plug it into the outlet. Handling the installation yourself can save you hundreds of dollars on the installation process. However, it's important to install the machine correctly, so it works properly without leaking or causing any hazards. If you're not comfortable with the installation, hiring a professional is worth the money.
Fast, Easy and Commitment Free.
Skip the search and get the number for a pro near you texted to your phone.
Talk to a local pro. We connect you to pros who are local and available to work.