Special Education Rights


special educationEvery child is entitled to receive a quality education as set forth according to law.

However, there are some children who present challenges or difficulties.

If these children are and are identified as having learning disabilities that prevent them from learning with the average classroom, they are often placed in special education classes.

Special education rights ensure that these children will not be overlooked or fail to receive the education that they need to live a productive life.

They are entitled to the same high quality education as all other children in the school.

Special education rights also ensure that these students are protected from disciplinarian consequences if their learning disability has not been diagnosed.

Special Education Law is referred to as the federal act IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Act). Idea ensures that all children have the right to be tested for the identification of learning disabilities. It also ensures that if children have learning disabilities that an Individualized Education Program is designed to provide them with the best education.

However, just because a child has a learning disability does not necessarily entitle them to the rights provided by IDEA. There must also be evidence shown that indicates that the child will not be able to learn in a traditional classroom setting.

If parents suspect that their child has a learning disability, they have the right to have their child tested and evaluated.

One of the most tragic aspects of learning disabilities is when children have undiagnosed disabilities and are not meeting their educational goals.

When a learning disability is undiagnosed, it is common for children to present emotional and psychological issues. They may become angry, have outbursts, and seem to have more disciplinary issues in general, due to the non-diagnosis of their condition.

If you think that your child might have a learning disability and is not being adequately evaluated by your school district, you should contact an attorney who specializes in Special Education rights and law.